Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stumbling on Happiness (2006), Daniel Gilbert

I read this book because I wanted to join a book club, and this was the next book on the list.  Stumbling on Happiness was billed as a Freakonomics-type book that would enlighten me to how the brain works.  Wrong.  Though Daniel Gilbert has a great sense of humor, and is able to synthesize complex psychological studies into laymen's terms, I just couldn't get into this book.  There were a few interesting segments about perception of happiness and how humans are the only species that think about the future - but for the most part, I found that Gilbert rambled on and on and gave way to many examples for each topic.  Skip this one.

I did get a new favorite quote though: "If we adhere to the standards of perfection in all of our endeavors, we are left with nothing but mathematics and the White Album."  Daniel Gilbert - how did you know that I love both math and the Beatles?!

Daniel Gilbert is a professor at Harvard - with his humor, I bet his classes are a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment