Monday, February 21, 2011

A Wrinkle in Time (1962), Madeleine L'Engle

(Reread)

When I was in 7th grade, A Wrinkle in Time was our read aloud book.  I remember my teachers reading this book and me becoming totally engrossed in the travels of Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace.  The worlds were so fantastical, I would draw each of the planets that they visited and the characters the encounter along the way. 

Nearly 20 years later, when my students ask me for a book recommendation, I always point them to this monumental piece.  One time a student asked me to describe the book to her, and I found that I could barely recall the details of the plot, but vividly remembered my feelings towards the book.  It was time to reread A Wrinkle in Time.

A Newbery Award winner, A Wrinkle in Time is the story of a girl, Meg - our heroine, her younger clairvoyant brother, Charles Wallace, and their friend/neighbor Calvin - who is slightly older than Meg.  The three are sent on a mission to find Meg and Charles Wallace's father, a scientist, who is trapped on a planet that is occupied by an evil force (think Darth Vader, only more omnipotent).  They are guided by three interplanetary spirits: Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which.  These spirits travel through time without disrupting time by tessering - a similar travel method to apparating in the Harry Potter series.  If you think of time as a straight line, tessering "wrinkles" that line so that the two end points meet.  So, one can travel millions of light years away in a blink of an eye.  

Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace have to fight through the evil force on a Stepfordesque planet to find Meg's father.  Using their natural talents of communication, clairvoyance, and love, the three help to free the scientist and bring him back to earth.  A Wrinkle in Time is a fantastic voyage.  Dive in and tesser well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment